Country Director Sierra Leone
Handicap International/Humanity & Inclusion (HI) is an independent and impartial international solidarity organization, which intervenes in situations of poverty and exclusion, conflicts and disasters. Working alongside people with disabilities and vulnerable populations, it acts and speaks out to meet their essential needs, improve their living conditions and promote respect for their dignity and fundamental rights. More info: www.hi.org
HI is committed to an employment policy in favour of disabled workers.
HI has been present in Sierra Leone since 1996. Various projects have been implemented since, in health, rehabilitation, social inclusion, rights promotion, etc. but since the end of the Ebola crisis, mainly education projects, Mental health projects and protection projects are implemented
A Program Operational Strategy has been validated for the period 2021 -2024 with the willingness to increase the level of activity through projects in various topics.
Currently, Mano River program is a standalone country program based in Sierra Leone. The Mano River StratOp 2021-2024 harnesses our vision to expand our operation beyond the Sierra leone border and reopen projects in Liberia. This strategy is transformative as we strive to become more effective, efficient and financially stable in the context of uncertainties created by the global pandemic and reduction of overseas development aid by major institutional donors.
The development of the social mission reflects the context characterized by a region struggling with extreme poverty, poor governance, recurrent events of emergencies and the negative impact of climate change. Three sectors: Inclusive Education & Economic Inclusion, Health & Rehab, and Protection & Risk Reduction. We are inspired by building on our strength as well as envision gaining an entry to economic inclusion and climate change-related projects. Our proposal is underpinned by our efforts to create a balance between our desire to grow and become financially stable through aligning our focus with major donor interests. We have identified three overarching approaches that would form the foundation of our program development. These approaches have emerged from our experience of working in the region and from consultations with internal and external stakeholders. Promoting synergies and complementarities is at the heart of our three proposed sectoral priorities.
HI Sierra Leone is searching for his new country director with 3 main goals : Fundraising, implementation of new organizational standard and capacity Building
Under the responsibility of the West Africa Geographic Director, managing the SMT team (5 direct reports) within a total team of 45 staff and a yearly budget around 2,1 $ Million financed by several institutional donors FCDO; World Bank; AFD:
· You are the legal representative in the country of the overall HI organization internally and externally, and promotes a high reputation and positive image of HI. You develop external influence of HI (forums, and the external representation of the organization
· By being the top manager, you set up a team spirit and team functioning guaranteeing synergies and exchange of good practices between the staff in the programme and with head office colleagues.
· You deploy HI’s full mandate and 2025 Strategy, with operational partners, institutions and/or donors, and steers organisational transformation in line with Lean, Shared Services and transformation projects. This is done through the development and implementation of the Programme’s Operational Strategy.
· In case of emergency, you take responsibilities in accordance with the response framework defined.
· You are responsible for fundraising and resource planning: The Operational Strategy includes a fundraising strategy aligned with HI’s ethical principles and the Institutional Funding Development Plan.
· With regard to the safeguarding of beneficiaries of HI’s Programmes: you respect and ensure respect of institutional policies by the HQ and field staff that you manage
· With regard to security management:
· You ensure compliance with the budget framework and HI policies and frameworks (safeguarding, commitment thresholds, security, human resources, risk management, etc.)
· You actively monitor and analyse context developments, in order to identify risks and opportunities.
· With at least 5 years’ experience at key management position within international organizations, you are motivated by developing new proposals, and deal with donors for new opportunities
· You have excellent relationship, eager to negotiate and represent your organization
· Excellent organizational skills, co-ordination and transfer of knowledge;
· Proven experience in negotiations with institutional donors, project writing and reporting.
· Written and oral communication in English
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE POSITION:
The overall situation in Sierra Leone is calm, however there are some factors that should be considered from a security perspective.
Health situation: generally speaking the health system is deficient in Sierra Leone.
Travel - The Mano River programme is currently operating in Sierra Leone. The position is based in Freetown but some visits to the Sierra Leone bases in the Provinces and in Liberia (Monrovia) would be expected.
Living conditions - The office and the houses/apartments are comfortable. The power supply is erratic but all houses have generators and air conditioning and drinking water is supplied. Freetown is less developed that the main capitals in West Africa but most items can be found in the supermarkets and markets. People are very friendly and there are some lovely local beaches which are relatively easy to access.
At HI, the conditions offered are up to your commitment and adapted to the context of your mission. https://hi.org/en/join-the-team
· 3 years International contract starting from 20th of June 202, based in Freetown
· Salary from 3000 € gross/month upon experience ; Perdiem: 596 € net/month - paid in the field
· Paid leaves: 25 days per year; R&R: 1 day per month
o open to families
§ a child allowance of 100€ per month, per child (from the second child) paid in the field
§ Contribution to school registration fees for children over 3 years
§ Family-wide health coverage ; payment for travel costs (air ticket & visa) and transport of your personal effects
· Housing: individual taken in charge by HI**
· The international contract provides social cover adapted to your situation:**
o Unemployment insurance benefits for EU nationals**
o Pension scheme adapted to the situation of our employees: If you already have a personal pension scheme HI will contribute at the same level of your personal monthly contribution with a maximum of 272.53€/month ; If you do not have a personal pension scheme, we will open a private pension account with your contribution of 272.53€/month and a contribution of HI of the same amount**
o Medical coverage with 50% of employee contribution; Repatriation insurance paid by HI.**
How to apply:
Only online by joining a CV and cover letter via the following link: http://www.jobs.net/j/JkbYbdRi?idpartenaire=136